Frequently Asked Questions
Are visitors welcome?
Of course, drop by any time during
regular open hours. Personal tours of the facility can be
Does the Center provide housing for seniors?
No. The Anchorage Senior Center
does not have any residential facilities. It is an activity
center for seniors to learn, socialize, relax, explore and
participate in activities geared to senior's interests.
How do I get to the Center?
By car from Northern Lights and
Seward Highway drive north on Seward Highway to 20th Avenue.
Turn right on 20th and proceed to Karluk Street. Turn left on
Karluk Street and proceed to 19th Avenue. Turn Right on 19th
Avenue. We are on the right side of the road.
By car from 15th Avenue and
Gambell Street drive east on 15th avenue to Karluk. Turn
Right on Karluk and proceed to 17th Avenue. Turn left on 17th and
then right on Karluk and proceed to 19th Avenue. Turn left on
19th Avenue. We are on the right side of the road.
By bus. People Mover bus
route 13 includes a stop on 19th Avenue across from the
Location map and directions
What are membership requirements? To be a voting member
you must be 50 years old or older. All others are eligible for
What are the membership dues? A single person
membership is $75. A married couple or two persons at the same
address $135. Low income
membership are available to qualifying individuals.
What do I get for my membership dues? You gain access
to all the programs offered by the Center. Many Center programs
are free, but some have participant fees:
- Monthly newsletter, Senior Borealis
- Assistance with financial planning, long-term care, housing
and other social service needs
- Free notary service
- Information on health issues and services
- Medicare/Medcaid Information and Assistance
- Fitness Club
- Reduced travel rates and group tours
- Art and craft areas, with classes and supplies
- Memorial service
- Socialization with other seniors
- The ability to participate in Center policy making through
committee membership and voting at annual meeting.
- Special classes in the arts, fitness, computers and more
- Potlucks, dances, games… and much more!